What’s Left?

Aug 6th, 2014 | By admin | Category: Opinion

At last week’s city council meeting, the issue of stray cats in the city was brought up. (See story on front page).  And that is so true!  We have lots of stray cats - more than we’ve had in a long time. I believe - when you look at the reproduction rate of cats - that the cats that I have rescued have saved the city about 1,000,000 cats - at least. No joke!  I know that is a lot of cats - but if you look at the chart below - that is just one female leading to 420,000 cats in 7 years.

I’ve been rescueing cats for about 20 years and I have lots (too many) cats - male and female - but they are basically all spayed or neutered. But my point I’m trying to get to is that if we could just get a coordinated effort to spay/neuter release the stray cats in our city, pretty soon, we would not have a heavy, over-populated stray cat problem. It would take several years - but if we don’t do it - then it will just get worse - and quickly.

What the spay/neuter/release program does is they find a group of stray cats in a particular area. They set several cat traps and in one night or two or three - they catch the entire group. They take them to a reduced price spay/neuter clinic and then release them back to their “home” area. Then you will not have any new kittens - just the stray cats that good people can feed and hopefully take care of or adopt. Out of all the cats that I have rescued, many, many of whom were very feral cats - very wild - most all of them (98%) have gotten social and become good cats. The other 2% are still somewhat feral and just socialize with other cats and not with me.

So, I hope that we can get a group of volunteers to trap these cats and we can find a place where we can get reduced price spay/neutering of these cats and help eliminate the cat over-population in our city. We must be humane and try to take care of the homeless dogs and cats in our community.

Right now, our animal shelter has too many dogs and they all need homes. If you are thinking about adopting a dog - please check with our shelter first.

Go to your happy place.

See you next week!