What’s Left?

Feb 28th, 2013 | By admin | Category: Opinion

By Lee McLane Editor/Publisher and Simba the late Squeaks adoptive baby

Last week I wrote about all the fast food places which have come to Beebe but I also mentioned Anderson’s Restaurant because it was so much a part of Beebe. I was chastised by my son for not mentioning all the other restaurants - but I wasn’t talking about all the other ones - just the fast-food ones and besides, I couldn’t begin to remember all the regular restaurants that have come and gone. There have been a lot of them. So, for those of you who might have wondered like my son - that’s the explanation for that.

Did you watch the Oscars?  I watched part of it. It’s always kind of funny. The funniest part of it is when the camera pans on the audience as someone else just got the Oscar - not just the nominees but the audience in general. You can tell who really cares that the person got the Oscar. Funny. But the dresses were pretty and the presenters were somewhat funny. Considering that I’ve been getting almost no continuous sleep for the past several days - it’s not a good thing that I stay awake and watch late-night television shows. Right now I’ve got Jimmy Kimmel on - waiting for Nightline to come on at midnight. The reason I’ve not been getting any continuos sleep is that two of my cats have suddenly picked up some strange habits. Simba - the one in the picture, has decided that he cannot sleep in the bedroom all night. At about 3 a.m. he has to go to the other part of the house and I have to get up out of bed and let him out. All my bedroom cats are confined to the bedroom for obvious reasons - except for Simba - who is “special.”  Anyway, Saturday night, one of my other big male cats, Latte’ - who is a big chicken or the infamous “scaredy cat” decided that something was on my bedroom ceiling. None of the other cats “saw” anything - so I believe Latte was sick and probably hallucinating - or we have ghosts that only he can see. But I felt sorry for him because he was legitimately scared. He kept walking around the bedroom, looking up at the ceiling and yowling (cross between a meow and a howl). So, sometime early Sunday morning, I put him in my dark closet - which he liked. He felt safe in there and I went back to sleep. Same thing Sunday night. So tonight (Monday) I gave him a sedative - which was quiet difficult to do. We’ll see how that works. Poor thing. He has no other symptoms today other than he doesn’t seem to want to do his normal things. So without any REM sleep - I’m not sure how well I’m thinking - probably won’t notice but one thing I have noticed is that one hand seems to want to type the letter before it’s supposed to. So, thank goodness for spell check.

On another note - a big thanks to my right hand girl, Charlotte - for taking great pixs of the dogs at the city shelter and putting them on two animal websites and our Beebe News Facebook page. We got lots of people looking at a dog that desperately needed adopting as he was depressed over the death of his owner and he got a very good home! We are going to try to keep a current picture group on our Facebook page of the dogs available at the shelter. Please take a look and pick your next member of the family from there.

Go to your happy place (with REM sleep).

See you next week - all refreshed!